Monday, May 4, 2015

Te Reo Maori


An area that I feel that I needed to work on has been my learning around Te Reo Maori.
This has been playing on my mind for a while and so I decided to go back to our Newmarket Wiki and reflect on areas that needed revisiting.

Little reminders like the Newmarket Maungawhau story around The Maori legend -  "The Story of Mataaho" and the relevance of the volcanic crater and how it is viewed as sacred and to honour the wairua by refraining from entering the bowl of Mataaho. Our children retold the story of Mataaho using Voki and they used SOLO Hot maps and rubrics to help them identify their learning outcomes. I enjoyed revisiting their work.

This has highlighted the importance of honouring The Treaty of Waitangi, our school vision and values and a reminder of embracing the language.
In order for me to sustain what I have learnt I need to continue to build on what I know and practice new words and phrases and in particular using the correct pronunciation.
I have been supported by Sonya Van Schaijik and we currently have a Maori Language Assistant  - Matua Hone who is providing professional development for the staff each week.



Being bilingual has meant that I am fortunate to speak two languages, therefore I feel privileged to be embracing and learning a third -  This is my learning journey which I will continue to grow from strength to strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment